Who doesn’t love good last minute travel deals.
Just the thought of coming home after a busy work week.
Check the travel deals with just a couple of clicks. Book a cheap all inclusive last minute offer on a tropical island and sipping a pina colada on a white sandy beach 48 hours later with not a care in the world.
That is the dream for many.
But often the small print and hidden catches can come back to haunt you.
Not everyone looks for last minute deals.
Some people like to book in advance to be certain of the date and time, location, weather, good accommodation and less surprises.
There are a couple of great benefits you can enjoy when it comes to last minute travel deals. However there are also disadvantages that you certainly have to be aware of before you book on a whim.
Are last minute holidays really cheaper?
Why do hotels and airlines offer last minute travel deals?
To fill the last seats on flights and empty rooms in a resort.
They prefer a slightly lower profit than no profit at all.
Benefits of last minute travel deals
- The main reason why people look for last minute travel deals is to save money. Last minute travel deals can be quite cheaper. You never know that you can find a good bargain!
- If you have friends, family or relatives living abroad where you can stay, you might get a possibility to go visit them for two times nothing.
- Letting last minute travel deals decide where you are going, some travelers love the excitement of that. And it is indeed adventurous to say the least. Not knowing if you will end up in Paris for a couple of days or sipping a cold beer on a beach in Mexico.
- Keeping an open mind about your destination might be the ultimate chance to discover a great country, area or hotel chain somewhere you never thought of visiting or booking before.
- Last minute travel deals can force you to take a break if planning your holidays months in advance isn’t an option for you. Even if it is just for a weekend or a midweek, it allows you to recharge yourself.
- Leaving on a last minute holiday saves time because it gives your little time to plan, organise and get background information on your destination. Which some travelers might prefer instead of booking in advance and meticulously plan their trip for days.
Are there also negative sides to last minute travel deals?
- If you are only interested in last minute travel deals, it can result in not traveling at all. The deal you are waiting for might never come.
- You have to be very flexible with dates and that might be a problem if you are not able to take time off at work right away. Some employers want their staff to plan holidays and breaks way in advance.
- You might not like the hotel or country you finally end up in at all once you booked a last minute holiday. Research the hotel and location before you book to see what people think of it. Better spend a more expensive holiday in a place and hotel that you enjoy than a cheap stay somewhere and counting down the days until you can go back home again.
- Check whether the climate is favorable, especially for long haul flights to another continent. Prices are very low if temperatures are too high, during rain season or during hurricane season.
- Last minute flights quite often leave very early in the morning or late in the evening. Check before you book to avoid having to paying an extra night in a hotel or sleep at the airport if your budget is running out.
- You might come across great last minute travel deals for flights, but end up finding no suitable accommodation in the area. Why spend your money on a cheap flight if you are forced to stay in an expensive hotel you never would have booked. Or stay in an affordable hotel miles away from where you actually want to be and spend half of your time traveling by public transport.
How to stay informed about last minute travel deals
Sign up for emails and newsletters from airlines, hotels and travel agencies.
Follow them on social media where they post about upcoming deals or last minute opportunities.
Join frequent flyer programs and hotel loyalty programs. Being a member can get you extra rewards like upgrades, discounts and special offers.
Do you know that you can often find last minute hotel offers on Booking.com if you look for a place to stay the very same day? You can save up to 75% on room rates if you find a lucky deal!